In this Autodesk authorized 3-day AutoCAD training class, you will learn the essential core topics for working with the AutoCAD software platform. The class starts with the basic AutoCAD tools and techniques that enable you to create and edit simple drawings. You will then continue to develop more advanced skills as more powerful and specialized drawing tools are introduced throughout the class.
All topics, including features and commands, relate to both AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT unless specifically noted otherwise.
Note: Although the latest version of the core AutoCAD product is typically used by students during this course, this is also the recommended first level introduction to AutoCAD concepts and tools for other Autodesk AutoCAD products that are built on the AutoCAD platform including AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD Electrical, AutoCAD Map 3D, and AutoCAD Mechanical. The core concepts covered are considered a prerequisite for the more advanced tools available in the more specialized products.
By focusing on hands on practice, you will learn to create and edit professional AutoCAD drawings. Learn how to navigate AutoCAD toolbars and menus and how to use the command prompt, to apply basic drawing skills, use drawing aids (such as object snap, ortho and polar tracking and grids), edit entities, work with curves, control object visibility and appearance, and gain fundamental AutoCAD skills.
The instructor provides time-saving tips and describes techniques for creating primarily two-dimensional drawings.
- Understand the AutoCAD workspace and user interface
- Use the basic drawing, editing, and viewing tools in the AutoCAD line of products
- Organize drawing objects on layers
- Insert and create reusable symbols (blocks)
- Prepare layouts to be plotted or exported to PDF
- Add text, dimensions and hatching to AutoCAD drawings
- Recommended by Autodesk for all new users to AutoCAD including those pursuing AutoCAD certification.
Who Should Attend
This official Autodesk authorized 3-day AutoCAD class is designed for anyone new to the AutoCAD platform or for those with a moderate amount of experience seeking a more structured and comprehensive understanding of the AutoCAD software platform and a solid foundation in best practices, techniques and work flows. It is appropriate for those using either AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT, as well as new users who will be using more specialized editions of AutoCAD such as AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD Electrical, AutoCAD Map 3D, and AutoCAD Mechanical. The core AutoCAD concepts covered are considered a prerequisite for the more advanced tools available in these more specialized AutoCAD-based software products.
- This class is appropriate for novice users of AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT, and most other AutoCAD products. No previous CAD experience necessary.
- You should have a working knowledge of the Windows operating system.
- Drafting, design or engineering experience a plus but not a requirement.
- We also suggest that you have access to AutoCAD software outside of class for practice.
Certifications, Exams, and Continuing Education
The Autodesk AutoCAD Certified Professional badge validates professional users’ knowledge of the tools, features, and common tasks of AutoCAD. Earners of this badge have demonstrated knowledge of dimensioning, basic drawing skills, using hatching and gradients, and more using AutoCAD.
This class is recommended by Autodesk for those pursuing Autodesk Certified User or Autodesk Certified Professional status. This certification is optional and not required. There are no required exams or tests associated with this class.
All participants in this class receive a certificate of attendance, however, the Autodesk certification program is a separate product requiring successfully passing a proctored certification exam. AutoCAD certification exams and proctoring is sold separately by Certiport, a third party company, and is not included with this class.
Autodesk certifications provide reliable validation of knowledge and skills. These credentials can lead to accelerated professional development, improved productivity, and enhanced credibility.
Additional information on AutoCAD certification
This beginning AutoCAD class provides an introduction to basic tools and navigation in the AutoCAD system and is therefore an appropriate starting point for users of AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT, AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD Design Suite Ultimate, AutoCAD Electrical, AutoCAD Map 3D, AutoCAD Mechanical, AutoCAD MEP, AutoCAD P&ID, and AutoCAD Plant 3D.
- Basic Drawing & Editing Commands
- Organizing Students Drawing with Layers
- Analyzing Model and Object Properties
- Advanced Editing Commands
- Inserting Blocks
- Creating More Complex Objects
- Setting Up a layout
- Adding Dimensions
Special Note to Macintosh users
While AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT for Macintosh users are welcome to attend this class and will learn skills and techniques that apply to both Macintosh and Windows versions of AutoCAD, public classes are typically taught only on Windows computers and the course manual and training files are designed specifically for the Windows operating system. AutoCAD for Mac software includes most of the functionality of the Windows version of AutoCAD, but with a specialized Mac interface and feature set. Mac users may want to view this comparison of AutoCAD for Windows and AutoCAD for Mac prior to registering for this class.
- 3ds Max 101 – AutoDesk 3ds Max Essentials
- AutoCAD 101 – AutoDesk AutoCAD Essentials
- AutoCAD 201 – AutoDesk AutoCAD Intermediate
- AutoCAD 210 – AutoCAD Architecture Fundamentals
- AutoCAD 301 – Autodesk AutoCAD Advanced
- AutoCAD 302 – AutoDesk AutoCAD 3D Drawing & Modeling
- AutoCAD 501 – AutoDesk AutoCAD Bootcamp Level 1
- AutoCad 601 – Autocad Comprehensive 2-Week
- Civil 3D 151 – AutoDesk Civil 3D
- Civil 3D 161 – AutoDesk Civil 3D Grading
Our goal is to make sure your class meets your objectives, not ours. Therefore, all of our outlines are treated as guides to help steer the workshop. This outline does not guarantee that all the topics listed will be covered in the time allowed. The amount of material covered is based on the skill level of the student audience. We may change or alter course topics to best suit the classroom situation.